[whatwg] Comments on <event-source> and addEventSource()

I believe this replies to all <event-source> comments I received since
2004. If you have any comments I haven't replied to please let me know.

On Thu, 26 May 2005, Joshua RANDALL FTRD/DIH/BOS wrote:

> I did notice that, while the server-sent DOM events described in the
> current draft address by first two concerns, the third one has not been
> specifically handled, although I suppose it is left open by allowing
> other non-HTTP protocols.

The third concern cited was:

> Operator networks might in the future have built-in eventing protocols
> that can more efficiently dispatch data asynchronously to client devices
> without the need for the overhead of maintaining many virtually unused
> TCP connections

As you say, the intent is that the aforementioned operators will develop
their own protocols and/or data formats to do this. Then, based on
implementation experience, we can document those that are most successful.

> However, since ideally the same web application code would work on all
> platforms and networks, it would be better if there was a way to
> negotiate the low-level transport between the client and server rather
> than have it hard-coded into the script.  For example, a web application
> showing real-time stock prices wants to get an event stream that updates
> the stock prices from a server, let's say stockserver.org.  For most
> desktop clients, using the event-source URI
> "http://stockserver.org/stockprice" would be fine.  However, a mobile
> client using the same page would waste a (relatively) lot of bandwidth
> just by keeping that HTTP connection alive, and it so happens that the
> particular (and fictitious) mobile network has low-level support for SIP
> events (could just as easily be XMPP or perhaps even SMS or WAP-Push).
> Therefore, for that client it would be advantageous to use a URI such as
> "sip:stockserver.org;subscribe?event=stockprice" instead of HTTP since
> there would be significantly less network overhead that way.  However,
> it is undesirable for the web application developer to have to provide a
> separate version of the page for the mobile user on a SIP-capable
> network, so it would be advantageous to have an option for the server
> and client to negotiate the low-level transport.  Perhaps this could be
> done using an extension to the proposed baseline HTTP-based
> implementation?

Well, if the server is to be involved in the negotiation, the easiest
option is for the author to just say:

   <event-source src="stocks"/>

...where "stocks" gets resolved, the server is contacted, and the server
then does an HTTP redirect to the actual source, which the server can do
negotiation for using normal HTTP redirects.

> Ian, perhaps we could add to section 9.1 a header that can be sent by
> the user agent along with the initial request to the event-source URI
> that specified a list of event protocols that the user agent supports?
> Perhaps something like "capabilities"?

The 'Accept' header can already do this. I've added mention of this to the
spec.

> Then, the server, knowing what the client support was, would have the
> option of returning a 3xx redirect to the other protocol URI instead of
> opening the event stream?

Yup, that's already possible.

> If for some reason the user agent was unable to establish the event
> stream using the new protocol, it could re-contact the server but remove
> the failed protocol from it's list of capabilities.  This seems to me to
> be the least obstrusive way of adding basic protocol negotiation to the
> server-sent DOM events -- do you see any reason why it shouldn't be in
> there?

My main reason would be that we already have content and protocol
negotiation methods, and we should just re-use them. The current design
allows that.

In practice I doubt this will be seen much, I have to be honest.

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005, S. Mike Dierken wrote:

> I recently saw your draft specification and the sections related to the
> event-source element. This is really fantastic stuff and I wish I had
> been paying attention much sooner!

Excellent!

(And sorry again for the delay in dealing with your comments!)

> I'd like to find out how I can be an active contributor in this area,
> both in terms of discussions as well as in terms of development.

Well, you can take part in this discussion, and you can implement the
features, both as JS shims for legacy user agents (as the Google <canvas>
implementation or Dean Edwards' Web Forms 2 implementation) and in your
own Web browsers or in existing open source Web browsers. You can also
write test cases, write content to see how the features work in the real
world, help authors trying to use the features, you name it. :-) We
organise a lot of the work in channel #whatwg on Freenode.

> I've also included a brain dump of my thoughts - also posted to my blog:
> http://korrespondence.blogspot.com/2005/06/whatwg-and-event-source-design.html
> I realize this could easily be interpreted as a johnny-come-lately ivory
> tower post, but I hope that's not how it's viewed - I'm really very
> interested in participating and collaborating in any way I am able to.

Everyone's input is definitely welcome! Sorry about taking so long to
respond, I've been mostly focussing on feature-completeness and am now
starting to ramp up the comment-replying.

> From the section "9.1.1. The event-source element" the approach is to
> introduce a new element. I'd like to consider whether more than one
> event-source element is allowed

It is. I'll make that clearer.

> and also consider whether simply introducing new attributes on existing
> elements is easier and feasible.

It would be easy to specify, for sure. However, I've received very vocal
feedback from implementors that they'd rather as little as possible was
done at the global element level. That's why I specified this with a
separate element.

> If a document is allowed to have more than one event-source element then
> the client app will have to deal with either multiple connections or
> combining multiple event-sources on one connection while delivering
> events to the corresponding event-source element event handler.

We have not specified any way to multiplex the event sources; I'm not sure
it really makes sense to require that (it would require all kinds of magic
on the server side). In practice I would expect authors not to use
multiple <event-source> elements, or to use them to get data from separate
sources.

> If multiple connections are supported, then the client application could
> saturate the capability of the client machine and could even be
> considered a 'poorly behaved' client on the shared network.

Well, HTTP already requires that clients not open more than a certain
number of connections per server. We can't override this, let someone try
to DOS a client and server by opening a bazillion simulaneous connections.

> I suggest using onMessage rather than onEvent

Agreed. I've changed the spec appropriately.

> to distinguish between network based messages and application based
> events (e.g. connection-opened, connection-closed-by-client,
> connection-closed-by-server, etc). I realize that some people feel web
> developers would want these to look identical, but many years of
> experience across the software industry has shown that they are simply
> different beasts and making that explicit actually helps the developer.
> The onEvent handler could be used for connection events on the
> event-source outside the actual messages within that stream.

Well, there are other events for that. 'load', 'error', 'abort', etc, no
need for an 'event' event. :-)

Currently, though, the spec doesn't actually give authors access to this.

> 2) format and definition of event streams
>
> This section indicates that client should re-open connections after a
> small delay if they were closed in a successful situation. This section
> should consider persistent connections (i.e. keep-alive) and distinguish
> reply-level response codes from connection-level operations.

The section seems, to me at least, to clearly indicate that it operates at
the HTTP level (or equivalent in other protocol stacks). Could you
elaborate on what you mean?

> For example, rather than saying "HTTP 200 OK responses with the right
> MIME type, however, should, when closed, be reopened after a small
> delay.", it may be better to say something like "The retrieval of an
> event-source that completes successfully (it has the correct
> content-type and an HTTP 200 OK response status code) should be tried
> again after a short delay."

I don't understand the difference. Could you explain? Thanks.

> In addition, the client should continue to obey the appropriate
> cache-control response headers - this allows the server to dynamically
> influence the interval that the client retrieves future events (beyond a
> static value placed in other attributes on the event-source element).
> This would be useful in the HTTP 204 No Content situation described in
> this section as well.

Well we definitely don't want to honour any headers that say to cache the
data for 200 OK responses with the MIME type used for event stuff -- in
those cases, a cached response would just cause the events to all replay
instantly. I agree that everything else (including 204s) should honour
caching, though, and have fixed the spec appropriately.

> There are three aspects of this event stream that I'm concerned about
>  - the meaning of the event stream resource itself,
>  - the framing of individual messages within that event stream
>  - how to handle re-processing the event stream in different situations
>    (errors, page refresh by the user, etc)
>
> The proposal I have is to consider the src= attribute on the
> event-source element as referencing a 'collection of messages'. As to
> the framing of individual messages, when retrieving this collection of
> messages via HTTP, I suggest using the multipart/mixed or
> multipart/digest MIME type. Individual parts can then have their own
> content-type and developers can decide which suits their needs - a
> simple name/value pair approach like form data (not my favorite),
> javascript object definitions like JSON, etc. See
> http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc1341/7_2_Multipart.html for details.

The problem with this approach is two-fold.

First, it is far, far more complicated for authors to understand, and far
easier to break. It also requires much more comprehensive error handling
rules, since the syntax is more involved and thus more potential errors
exist to have handled. (The MIME RFCs don't define how to handle errors.)

Second, as it is intended that this work by triggring DOM events, the
framing will automatically have to be based around a DOM event structure,
with any payload encoded as part of that. So allowing explicit support for
other types would not stop the top-level data from having to include DOM
event information.

Authors who want to include JSON or XML can still do so using the current
mechanism, though, they just need to include it in the packet, as in: