[whatwg] Geolocation in the browser

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 18:02:26 +0100
On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 10:07:58 +0100, Gervase Markham <gerv at mozilla.org> wrote:

>> Ofcourse there should be option to ask every time, but it can't be the
>> only option. Some users may prefer not to be bothered and have
>> location-based services just working. Also there are IP<>geo databases,
>> so some users may want to allow giving away information that has
>> approximately same accuracy.
>
> That's a good point; we could probably give data with this approximate
> accuracy without asking permission. That's probably around the "city"
> level of precision?

Not necessarily. It's sort of like the accuracy of Google - most of the time you get the right language, but every so often it's just totally b0rken. So while it is a useful guess, you would want to know what the browser is going to submit. And often it is around the country level of accuracy.

cheers

Chaals

  hablo espa?ol  -  je parle fran?ais  -  jeg l?rer norsk
chaals at opera.com          Try Opera 9.1     http://opera.com