[whatwg] Private class names (was: "several messages about HTML5")

From: Michel Fortin <michel.fortin@michelf.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 19:50:56 -0500
Le 2007-02-21 ? 16:58, Elliotte Harold a ?crit :

> Michel Fortin wrote:
>
>> t that, I would like to suggest that the current text be changed
>> to reserve class names starting with a dash "-" for private use.
>> That way that we would have a pool of class names which are
>> guarantied to not be taken over later when new predefined class
>> names are added.
>
> Good idea. Should we follow MIME types, and maybe make these x-
> instead of simply -?

That could also work, but based on aesthetics I still prefer my first
proposal.

     .x-superparagraph { font-size: 90% }

     .-superparagraph { font-size: 90% }

> Also, should we reserve one spac eof names for the spec? e.g. html-?

It seems to me that the current spec allows itself to define any
class name as its own while still allowing authors to use any yet-
undefined ones. Are you suggesting that the spec disallows the use of
undefined class names starting with "html-"? What would be the purpose?

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/