[whatwg] New markup constructs

From: James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 18:44:10 +0000
Vlad Alexander (xhtml.com) wrote:
> X/HTML 5 introduces new markup constructs such as sectioning elements, enhancements to the input element, a construct for dialogs, a way to mark up figures, and much more. Can you briefly describe these new constructs and the reason they were added?

In general, may I suggest you try the mailing list archive if you want to locate
the discussion about specific elements? It is somewhat non trivial to condense
almost 3 years worth of activity into a single email. However in general new
features have been added where they address a clearly recognised deficiency in
HTML4 as it is practised (i.e. for mixed document/application settings). This
assessment has been made both on the basis of feature requests and studies of
existing markup in the wild. For example the genesis of many of the new elements
in common authoring practice can be seen through [1].

[1] http://code.google.com/webstats/2005-12/classes.html