[whatwg] Thoughts on the <hi> element (formerly the <m> element).

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 07:51:46 +1100
Matthew Raymond wrote:
> I've been pondering a use for the <m> element, and I agree that the
> highlighting sematics make the name "hi" a better choice.

I strongly disagree.  I think it should remain as <m> or, if people
really object to using a single letter name (though I don't understand
why), then <mark> (or similar) would be acceptable.

> |   XForms is a W3C recommendation.
> |   <hi by="Matthew Raymond" title="This comment has no logical basis.">
> |   XForms Tiny is does not conflict with XForms, but WF2 does.</hi>

Interesting.  The concept of specifying who added a particular mark
using the |by| attribute could be useful for collaborative
editing/reviewing.

The GPLv3 draft comment page might be a good use case for such a thing,
but it also has comments a lot more complex than could be done with the
title attribute.

http://gplv3.fsf.org/comments/gplv3-draft-2.html

I somewhat like the idea of the |by| attribute being a human readable
name; although, perhaps we would need the cite attribute as well to link
to a page about the reviewer.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/