[whatwg] W3C compatibility

From: Simon Pieters <zcorpan@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 15:17:25 +0100
On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 15:01:10 +0100, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis
<bhawkeslewis at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Likewise, any document mapping using <h1> to <h6> to build hierarchies
> in a simple manner is going to be thrown by XHTML5's reuse of such
> headings for subtitles

So subtitles will be part of the document outline in legacy UAs. I'd say
graceful degradation.

> and by markup like:

>  <h4>Apples</h4>
>  <section>
>   <h2>Taste</h2>
>   <h6>Sweet</h6>
>   <h1>Color</h1>
>  </section>
>
> to use an example out of the spec.

That example is to explain how the outline algorithm works, i.e. an
example for implementors. As stated in the spec, authors are recommended
to either use <h1>-<h6> in a way that would degrade correctly in legacy
UAs, or only use <h1> (which won't produce the correct outline in legacy
UAs, so this is not an option if you want that).

--
Simon Pieters