[whatwg] W3C compatibility

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:09:03 +0000
Henri Sivonen wrote:

> The right way to go about this is to invent new names for the
> incompatible elements/attributes or to abstain from specifying
> incompatible stuff in the first place.

I agree 100%.

> The practical alternative is to refuse to implement specs that
> require legacy-incompatible changes to processing models.

For browsers which have already implemented XHTML1, that seems to
require implementing neither XHTML2-in-the-XHTML1-namespace nor XHTML5
(cf. Anne's reply).

> "Only with doctype sniffing" should be read as "No".

I suspect the only thing with a hope of dissuading UAs from doctype
sniffing is sternly telling them that they SHOULD implement doctype
sniffing. ;)

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis