[whatwg] The m element

From: Keryx Web <webmaster@keryx.se>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 13:32:41 +0100
Alexey Feldgendler wrote:
> I don't like the idea of reusing an existing presentational element such
> as <u>. Otherwise we'd immediately have the web full of incorrect uses
> of the element.

I agree strongly.

Rule number one: Do not confuse users. Therefore it is bad usability to
underline anything that is not a link.

Rule number two: Do not confuse developers. If developer A starts
building an app using <u> to mean anything else but "underlined text",
then developer B comes along, sees all existing markup - gets confused -
and it will take quite a while for her/him to get up to speed.

The only current element that can be used instead of <m> is <span>, like
in <span class="highlight">, <span class="ambigous"> or <span
class="searchresult">

I think that is good enough. We do not need need the <m> element.

Lars Gunther