[whatwg] The m element

From: Michel Fortin <michel.fortin@michelf.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 21:41:20 -0500
Le 2007-02-09 ? 16:36, Lachlan Hunt a ?crit :

> No, the use cases for <m> are clear, and it is different from both
> <em> and <strong>.  I think it should be kept as-is, though its
> definition in the spec clearly needs to be improved.

Suggestion of an improvement to the spec:

"The m element represents a run of text marked or highlighted for
reference purposes."

I think adding "for reference purposes" to the current definition
helps distinguish it from importance (given by <strong>) or stress
emphasis (given by <em>).

<em>     : stress emphasis (changes the meaning)
<strong> : importance (no change in meaning)
<m>      : reference marker (no change in meaning or importance)

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/