[whatwg] XSLT: HTML 5 --> HTML

On Feb 9, 2007, at 4:31 AM, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 02:55:51 +0530, David Latapie
> <david at empyree.org> wrote:

>>> Why not using the title attribute?
>>
>> Do you mean <ul title="foo"> <ol title="foo"> ?
>
> attribute values suck as a way of encoding text that should be
> presented. They
> don't do i18n well, it is impossible to highlight/emphasise/denote the
> importance of some part of the text, etc etc.

I totally agree. But then I would suggest to use some sort of title
element. But that would not make sense because it conflicts with Hx.
But if we want something like LH for lists, the question is; aren't
there other elements which can use some sort of caption/title/header?
How about images (viewing the title of the image seems useful to me)?
I understand the issue, but why not using some sort of semantic
binding between Hx's and the list? Is there some sort of Semantic
Binding Language somewhere out there? I've never got the point of the
for attribute. That seems to me some sort of basic semantic binding.
There are actually other use cases of binding different elements
semanticly together. One can say grouping the Hx and List within a
DIV element would do just fine, but i do not agree. For example; it
would be useful to bind a list item from the index to the actual
section. You get my point? This is just some vague idea... I don't
know if such a language actually is needed, but how about broaden the
scope of the for attribute ?

<h4 for="myList">some title</h4>
<ul id="myList">
   <li>foo
   <li>bar
</ul>

But to be honest, this looks silly to me too. My main concern is;
does a LH attribute cover the entire problem of 'heading' some
element, or is another mechanism needed to solve the issue if the
problem is broader?