[whatwg] The m element

From: James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 15:51:23 +0000
Leons Petrazickis wrote:
> They are marking the search terms with a highlighter. In an aural
> browser, would these terms be read differently? Perhaps. Does this
> transfer to mobile browsers? Very definitely.

How would an auraul browser treak these terms differently? I can perhaps imagine
some sort of generated content e.g. the foo <m>bar</m> would be read "the foo
`begin mark` bar `end mark`" but it's not entirely convincing.

> In the Western world, the standard for highlighting is a neon yellow
> background. I submit that a much better name for <m> is <hi>
> text much -- if anything, "mark" implies underlining, circling, and
> drawing arrows -- but they do highlight. In university, I often saw
> students perched with their notes and a highlighter, marking important
> sections. The semantic meaning is to draw attention for later review.

Sure. But what useful features could a general purpose UA implement if this
semantic information is made avaliable to it?