[whatwg] The m element

From: David Walbert <dwalbert@learnnc.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 08:50:06 -0500

On Feb 8, 2007, at 8:14 AM, David Latapie wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 07:59:44 -0500, David Walbert wrote:
>
>> I would be less concerned that it's a single letter than that "m" and
>> "em" are pronounced identically
> On the top of my head...

(etc)

Fine -- you have me here on details -- but they are still similar in
the languages you noted; they are only one letter apart; and given
that the tag "em" is short for the English word "emphasis" (and
despite any phonetic wrangling you might provide is pronounced just
like the letter m by every English speaker with whom I work) I still
say this is a problem. Elements so similar in meaning should have
unmistakably different tags to avoid confusion. Confusion on <em> is
bad enough already.

_____
David Walbert
LEARN NC, UNC-Chapel Hill