[whatwg] The m element

From: David Walbert <dwalbert@learnnc.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 07:59:44 -0500

On Feb 8, 2007, at 7:21 AM, David H?s?ther wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> On Feb 8, 2007, at 08:37, David Latapie wrote:
>>
>> > I also agree with Nicholas Shank that  single-letter element
>> shall be
>> > avoided. We have only 26 possibilities, no more.
>>
>> None of those 26 possibilities are doing anyone any good if we never
>> dare to use them.
>
> Agreed. However, I think single-letter names should be used only for
> common element types. "P" is a good example IMO, "M" probably less so.

I would be less concerned that it's a single letter than that "m" and
"em" are pronounced identically (in English, and in the other
European languages I can think of offhand) -- which would be
confusing if one were trying to explain them aloud, especially given
how close they are semantically.

_____
David Walbert
LEARN NC, UNC-Chapel Hill