[whatwg] The m element

From: David Latapie <david@empyree.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 07:37:11 +0100
> Leons Petrazickis wrote:
>
> No, <m> does have semantics.  It marks a specific point of interest,
> as you might do with a highlighter, it just doesn't alter the meaning
> of the text itself.
>
> <m> isn't really needed for revision tracking, we have <ins> and
> <del> for that.  Though, another use case is that it could be used to
> mark a section that needs to be reviewed and/or edited later.  That
> could be particularly useful collaborative editing, like in a wiki.
> That's often what I use the highlighter tool for in MS Word.

Hi,

I too can't see the point in this <m> element. Semantic highlighting
already exists (<em> and <strong>, although I personally would prefer
<em value="+1">, so that we could get <em value="-1"> too and so I
would not need to use <small> anymore).

I also agree with Nicholas Shank that  single-letter element shall be
avoided. We have only 26 possibilities, no more. We'd better be very
careful on this. Even <a> is of doubtful use if we use the XHTML2 idea
of anchoring anything.

As for the ?need for editing/note?, this is how I use the
<tt>element</tt>
--
</david_latapie>             U+0F00
http://blog.empyree.org/en (English)