[whatwg] The truth about Nokias claims

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007, Joseph Daniel Zukiger wrote:

> Or, rather, if we knew that Apple (and others?) would at least be
> willing to open their phones to 3rd party codecs. (Yes, the third party
> codecs can be built, if the API for the container is truly open.)

This already exists -- there have been reports even in this thread of Ogg
Theora plugins working with Apple's <video> implementation.

This doesn't help with closed systems (e.g. iPhone), and it isn't an ideal
situation -- we'd _like_ to be in a position where all players can
implement the same thing without relying on third parties.

Failing that, though, it is true that third party codecs can be the way to
a solution.

> After a little sleep, a suggestion occurs to me. (I have not read all
> the subthreads, maybe it has been made already, if so, mea culpa.)

Incidentally, I must encourage everyone to read all the messages before
posting. If you don't think everyone else's messages are worth reading,
why should they consider yours worth reading? :-)