[whatwg] Acronyms & Abbreviations

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 03:39:59 +0100
> why do you believe that distinguishing initialisms-and-acronyms
> (both labelled as "acronyms") from abbreviations is actually useful?

Abbreviations are usually expanded upon (possibly synthetic) reading
aloud, acronyms are not (and neither are contractions like /isn't/ or
shortenings like /spec/).
Acronyms traditionally are set smaller. Some use small caps, but I
believe those are only valid for minuscules, not majuscules.
Multi-part abbreviations (e.g. /e. g./) are traditionally set with
reduced width of the spaces in between. This can be achieved in two
ways, either with &thinsp; (or similar) or by altering |word-spacing|.

That's only the roman script, though.

This discussion has been held many times before here and elsewhere. I
don't believe there are new arguments to be made.