[whatwg] The truth about Nokias claims

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:

> [...] if we're discussing inclusion in HTML5, AVC is even more dangerous
> than Ogg Theora.

It is very clear that H.264 (AVC) is not an option. I do not believe
anyone has suggested we use H.264 as the common codec.

> In fact, even if it were possible to release *all* AVC patents
> royalty-free to the public, there'd still be the risk of submarine
> patents just as some claim to be the case nowadays with Ogg technology.

Indeed, the only difference is that with H.264 the large companies in
question have _already_ taken on the risk, so there is no additional
risk, whereas with Theora there are no large distributors today and
therefore patent trolls wouldn't even have considered coming out of the
woodwork yet. (Pardon my mixed metaphors.)

I believe many of the points being made in the most recent e-mails on this
subject are points that have already been made many times.

As far as I can tell, there are no satisfactory codecs today. If we are to
make progress, we need to change the landscape. There are various ways to
do this, for example:

 * Make significant quantities of compelling content available using one
   of the royalty-free codecs, so that the large companies have a reason
   to take on the risk of supporting it.

 * Convince one of the largest companies to distribute a royalty-free
   codec, taking on the unknown liability, and make this widely known, to
   attract patent trolls.

 * Negotiate with the patent holders of a non-royalty-free codec to find a
   way that their codec can be used royalty-free.

 * Change the patent system in the various countries that are affected by
   the patent trolling issue. (It's not just the US.)

I would like to encourage all the participants to focus on finding ways to
change the landscape. Returning over the same points repeatedly is not
proving productive.