[whatwg] The truth about Nokias claims

From: Charles <lists07@wiltgen.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 14:27:21 -0800
> Just because AVC is not a standard doesn't mean it's not proprietary.

I think you meant "Just because AVC is a standard doesn't mean it's not proprietary".
                                    ^^^^
"Proprietary" means owned and controlled by one entity.  Yes, AVC incorporates patents owned by several companies.  But nobody owns it, and anybody can participate in its ecosystem.

> We call proprietary anything that can't be implemented by the whole world without third-party permission.

Even by that unique definition, AVC is not proprietary since it can and is (e.g. x264) implemented by the whole world without permission.

-- Charles