[whatwg] Xiph.Org Statement Regarding the HTML5 Draft and the Ogg Codec Set

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 03:54:45 -0800

On Dec 13, 2007, at 3:38 AM, Christopher Monty Montgomery wrote:

> Here's where we need to get the lawyers all in the same room to even
> begin talking about it in any detail-- and I think we absolutely
> should get all those lawyers in the room.

Agreed.

> I don't think it *is* possible to increase confusion but we're [Xiph]
> not going to sink because we can't be bothered to keep bailing.  We
> [the larger group] are at an impasse because no one is willing to talk
> details for fear of liability.  We [the larger group] need to find a
> way past that.

I'm hoping the W3C takes this on. I think it will, since they realize
this is crucial for the evolution of the web and they don't have the
kinds of weird liability issues that a corporation would. I hear the
discussions at the Video Workshop so far have been promising, if vague.

Regards,
Maciej