[whatwg] several messages regarding Ogg in HTML5

Dnia 11-12-2007, Wt o godzinie 23:20 +0100, alex pisze:
> First, I would like to thank you for the feedback, and I must admit it
> is a rather sensitive situation, more so then I imagined at first. But
> because of the nature of submarine patents, I don't quite see how you
> can actually find a codec that fits the requirements? You can't use an
> encumbered codec obviously, and the rest is up for grabs by people who
> misuse legislation for their own benefit? So what else is there
> (excepting codecs that are outdated in every way that is)? That said, my
> vote still lies with ogg.

Perhaps a unencumbered codec exists that the big vendors would be
unwilling to torpedo for some reason?  The reason, of course, must be
different than "the codec in question is clear and safe"; it must be an
economical one.  It would be interesting to see what would happen if the
European Commission offered Microsoft a deal: some of the antitrust fine
for OGG support in Internet Explorer.

Chris