[whatwg] Ogg content on the Web

On 12 Dec 2007, at 17:44, David Gerard wrote:

> On 12/12/2007, Geoffrey Sneddon <foolistbar at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 12 Dec 2007, at 14:23, David Gerard wrote:
>
>>> FWIW, Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons only allow unencumbered
>>> formats
>>> on the site. Video MUST be Ogg Theora. Compressed audio better be
>>> Ogg.
>
>> Why must video just one of many unencumbered formats?
>

> Er, what are the others?

Technically speaking, Theora is actually unencumbered (it just has a
RF license covering the patents from On2). Dirac is in a similar
situation.

Apart from those two, the others I can think of are those that are in
excess of twenty years old (and therefore their patents have expired),
such as H.260.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>