[whatwg] Removal of Ogg is *preposterous*

On Dec 11, 2007 8:31 PM, Dave Singer <singer at apple.com> wrote:

> That is an oxymoron.  Ogg is NOT a standard;  it
> is an open-source effort.  H.264 (for example) is
> NOT proprietary, but a multi-vendor-developed
> international standard.

A "multi-vendor" effort does not make the codec non-proprietary. For
example, it could be the offering of a cartel.

In this case, you have to pay to use it, so it's pretty clear that it
is proprietary. At least for those of us that speak English as a first
language.

http://www.answers.com/proprietary&r=67

--

Robert Sayre