[whatwg] Removal of Ogg is *preposterous*

On 11 Dec 2007, at 18:15, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:

> El Mar 11 Dic 2007, Dave Singer escribi?:
>> I'm sure that many people would be happy to see a mandate if someone
>> were willing to offer an indemnity against risk here.  You seem quite
>> convinced there is no risk;  are you willing to offer the indemnity?
>
> No.  Unlike Apple, I don't have a huge patent portfolio.  My patent
> count
> reaches the awesome number of *zero*.  Would you be willing to offer
> patent
> indemnity to unlicensed users of your Apple AAC audio format?
> Because I fail
> to see why leaving users without a free choice for audio *helps*
> things.  I
> dunno, maybe I'm just dumb as a rock.

That's not what Dave is meaning: If Apple gets sued for patent
infringement, will you pay however many billion USD they have to? If
you truly believe there are no patents covering Ogg/etc. then you can
safely agree knowing that you'll never have to give away any of your
money.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>