[whatwg] simple numbers

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 14:56:44 +0100
> I considered all the feedback on having a <number> element (or
> similar),
> quoted below.
>
> While I think there is certainly something to be said for the
> proposal, I
> don't think there is enough evidence that authors really want or need
> this.

JFTR: <http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:UnitsFormatter>

Its scope is a little different (and it should probably comply to the
Unified Code for Units of Measure <http://aurora.regenstrief.org/UCUM/
ucum.html>), but it's one little proof at least that the idea itself
is not just esoteric or academic.

> I think we should focus on having CSS support this first.

I consider localised numbers (and dates) inside non-localised text
harmful, but this markup / metadata is useful for extraction (of
several kinds).