[whatwg] codecs and containers

At 12:27  -0800 10/12/07, Charles wrote:
>  >> This is probably going to cause some emotional responses, but I
>>>  feel like I need to say this now.
>>
>>  This argument has met with rational responses in previous threads.
>>  If you're interested in the origin of the current language, please
>>  review those earlier discussions.
>
>I'll try to find those, and thanks for the feedback.
>
>-- Charles

Before this thread gets too steamy again, I should probably point out
that the current language is almost a placeholder.  We'd like a
mandate, not a recommendation, and the ogg/v/t is an uneasy
compromise.  The w3c staff are, I believe, looking into this whole
area, particularly with respect to IPR and licensing.  The engineers,
should, of course, work out what is best from a functionality point
of view, but the position is heavily influenced by IPR and risk
considerations as well.  The upcoming w3c workshop might shed some
light...
--
David Singer
Apple/QuickTime