[whatwg] Text selection in IFrames

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 18:28:56 +0000 (UTC)
On Thu, 9 Aug 2007, Devi Web Development wrote:

> Not an interoperability issue? One of the main benefits of HTML has been
> it's device-independence. Ideally, a page should look and act the same
> in every browser on every platform. Frankly, I don't see an application
> for using user-selected text, but if a script requests the selected
> text, it should be clear what the script is getting.

...and it is -- the script will get whatever the user selected. But
different platforms have different conventions (e.g. on X the selection
will be cleared if another selection is made in another application) and
it is not our place to dictate UI. It doesn't make any difference to
well-written applications what the conventions are.