[whatwg] sarcasm

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:18:23 +0200, Charles Iliya Krempeaux
<supercanadian at gmail.com> wrote:

>> It occurs to me that one of the most frequently used nits of
>> pseudo-markup is to indicate sarcasm. For example,
>>
>> <sarcasm>Yeah, George W. Bush has been such a great president.</sarcasm>
>>
>> Should we perhaps formalize this? Is there any benefit to be achieved by
>> adding an explicit sarcasm element to HTML?

In Western typography, there is already a tradition to mark up irony with
quotation marks:

Yeah, George W. Bush has been such a ?great? president.

I don't think a structural markup is required for something that has a
punctuation tradition, just like we don't introduce structural markup for
sentences (the punctuation, such as a full stop after the sentence,
suffices).

> Also... I've heard that Ethiopian Semitic languages and French actually
> has a punctuation mark for sarcasm.

There was such an idea, but it hasn't been widely adopted.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_mark