[whatwg] Attribute for holding private data for scripting

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:53:21 +0200, Sam Ruby <rubys at intertwingly.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>>  Yes, only attributes defined in the specification are conformant.
>>
>> I was specifically referring to section 8.1.2.3.  Let me call your
>> attention to the following text:
>>
>>      Attribute names use characters in the range U+0061 LATIN SMALL
>>      LETTER A .. U+007A LATIN SMALL LETTER Z, or, in uppercase, U+0041
>>      LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A .. U+005A LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Z, and U+002D
>>      HYPHEN-MINUS (-).
>
> I think you should read the whole section. Allowing colons there
> wouldn't make a difference.

The document is a draft.  The subject line of this thread suggests that
the WG is entertaining the notion of allowing at least one attribute
which is not currently defined in the specification.  This suggests that
the draft may need to change.  Drafts are like that.

Like others, I'm not convinced that the way forward is to allow a new
attribute which has a micro-grammar for parsing what would be
represented in the DOM essentially as a character blob.