[whatwg] Apple Proposal for Timed Media Elements

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> CSS Timed Media Module proposal - http://webkit.org/specs/
> Timed_Media_CSS.html

Some feedback on my initial reading..  the CSS properties specified seem
like a good set that will cover most common functionality.  Some
comments about the spec, though:

1. 'media-loop-count' is an awkward name, especially with "The default
value of 1 means the item will play through once but will not loop."  We
went through this with APNG, and ended up renaming that member.  I would
suggest 'media-play-count' instead -- that way there is no ambiguity
with what the number means.

2. The descriptions for 'media-loop-start-time' and
'media-loop-end-time' don't match; start-time says "sets the time at
which the media item begins playing after looping", and end-time says
"sets the time at which the media item loops for the second and
subsequent repetitions".

I would suggest that start-time says "sets the time index at which the
media item starts playing for the second and subsequent repetitions",
and that end-time says "sets the time index at which the media item ends
playing for the second and subsequent repetitions."  The language for
end-time is still a little awkward, since "ends playing" could imply
that it simply stops playing (and does not loop), but it's clearer than
before.

3. 'media-timing' I would get rid of completely; while a shorthand would
be useful, I don't think that media-timing as specified really works.
Shorthands for properties such as 'background' are understandable on
their own; 'media-timing: playing 0s -0.5s 2 2s -4s 1' is very opaque.
    If it's still desirable, I would remove the setting of start/end
times and change the volume shorthand to only accept the symbolic names;
e.g. 'media-timing: playing high 4;'... but I think that removing the
shorthand entirely would be preferable.

I've yet to read over the HTML part of the proposal, but I'll send along
feedback when I've had a chance to do so.

     - Vlad