[whatwg] on codecs in a 'video' tag.

On 4/2/07, Maik Merten <maikmerten at gmx.net> wrote:
> Usually consumer hardware doesn't receive feature upgrades after it
> shipped,

since you're using (buying?) the n800, I wonder if you're counting it
as a consumer product.

> so most of the already installed hardware base won't get an
> upgrade to whatever the WHATWG specifies anyway.

Does this include the sony walkman w950i or modern nokia phones, or
any phone for which opera mini or gmail (downloadable standalone
application) are available?

> New products shipping WHATWG enabled products would be
> engineered for whatever codecs would have to be supported.

Thank you for dictating what my product ships.

I just spent my morning talking to lawyers and Nokia's view on ogg
seems fairly simple. Unless I misinterpretted them, we won't be
shipping ogg.

Note that my statement shouldn't be seen as official, but there may be
official statements available online.

> Ogg Theora decodes on ARM processor cores even
> without touching the special multimedia features of that platform (as
> shown on the Nokia N800 - which wasn't designed with a special codec in
> mind). This may be the case, but it is not immediately obvious to me.

I hope this means you're buying our product instead of forcing us to
do the impossible.

I will try to give more constructive feedback at a later date. this
week is over.