[whatwg] WhatWG and <embed>

Shadow2531 wrote:
> The FF ( trunk or 1.5.0.6) codebase problem doesn't happen with Flash
> as you can see from :
>
> <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
> codebase="http://www.adobe.com/"
> data="shockwave/download/triggerpages_mmcom/flash.swf" width="300"
> height="120"></object>

Hm OK. So there's probably not a general issue with codebase.

> Baseurl is a valid param for the windows media plugin.

Doesn't seem like something the browser should know or care about. Also,
the page says it's only for content embedded in the media file, I'm
reading that as it doesn't apply to the media file itself.

> It would be good for the browser to workaround it because the plugin
> maker won't and what's important is to make things work. In other
> words, if they won't fix it, we could say, "oh well, it's the plugin's
> problem, not ours", but that doesn't help anything.

It does help something. It helps all browser makers by not finding out
what specific hacks certain plugins want when the right place to fix it
is in the plugin itself.

> So workarounds are done in the same way, so the same markup works
> arcross browsers in the same way.

It does. It works the same way in all NPAPI browsers, and if the plugin
vendor is sensible also in all ActiveX-using browsers. And it would be
much nicer if workarounds were not in place at all :)

Anyway... we seem to have some disagreement... and this is perhaps not
even in the scope of a spec that describes HTML... so guess we'll leave
it at that :)

-christian