[whatwg] href on any element

Keryx webb wrote:

> Will it break backwards compatibility? Yes, if todays browsers are
> supposed to be able to render WHATWG-pages. But there are lots of other
> things in WHATWG that they do not understand either. It's only the very
> latest browsers that can handle canvas. No browser fully implements Web
> Forms 2.0 (as far as I know).

But there is usually some way to use other HTML5/WF2 features without
breaking current browsers. The only way I can see to do this with href
on many elements is to manually walk the DOM inserting <a href="bar" />
elements as children of the <foo href="bar" /> elements, with some care
needed for elements such as <tr> that really won't take <a> as a child.
Authors doing this would also have to be very careful about not breaking
their CSS rules etc. in current browsers.

href on multiple elements is a nice idea but I'm not sure the benefits
outweigh the costs.