[whatwg] Video

Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
> On 10/30/06, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au> wrote:
>> Places like YouTube and Google Video work around this by
>> building their own interface using Flash, which handles multiple formats
>> seamlessly for the user.
>
> Not exactly.  Flash players only play FLV video files.  And that's it
> (AFAIK).
>
> Behind the scenses... server-side... other video formats a transcoded to
> FLV.

Ok, I wasn't sure about that.

>> but the current problem holding it back is the lack of implementation
>> in the major media players and browsers.
>
> This might be the chicken and the egg problem.

That's not a problem.  The egg came first, the chicken evolved later.
:-)  Besides, many people are already publishing audio and video using
ogg, we just need the native implementations in major media players to
bring it more into the mainstream.

>> I aware that there are many implementations of ogg available, but
>> Windows Media Player, Quick Time and Real Player don't.
>
> http://www.illiminable.com/ogg/
> http://xiph.org/quicktime/
> https://helixcommunity.org/frs/?group_id=7

Unfortunately, they're not native implementations, which is a problem.
If they shipped with the players, it would be great!

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/