[whatwg] Allow trailing slash in always-empty HTML5 elements?

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 18:03:33 +0100, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de>
wrote:
>> The fact is that authors already try things like <div/>, <p/> and even
>> <a/>.  I've seen all of those examples in the wild.  See, for instance,
>> the source of the XML 1.0 spec (and many others) which claim to be
>> XHTML as text/html, littered with plenty of <a/> tags all throughout.
>
> Huh? The thing at <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/>? Don't see that
> problem there.

   <h5><a name="IDANQDS" id="IDANQDS" />Names and Tokens</h5>

is one example...

> If this was the case at an earlier point of time, it was probably caused
> by a bug in their XSLT code, not the authors writing the spec (which
> IMHO uses the W3C's xmlspec XML language).

In your humble opinion or is it just a fact? :-)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>