[whatwg] many messages regarding image captions

>> > That would work for the current page layouts of YouTube and Google Video.

>> > That would not. (At least, not without some tricky CSS.)
>
> Could you elaborate on that? I don't really understand why you think that.
> Unless you mean just because of the order, but we could easily just allow
> the caption to go at the end of the <figure> element.

Possibly because, on YouTube, at least, the caption is in a column next to the
video. It's not obvious how to make that work in the current model.

>> I suggest that this element behave in the opposite way from alt=:
>> > whereas alt= should be presented only if the image itself is *not*
>> > presented, the caption element should be presented only if the image
>> > itself *is* presented. Otherwise there would be the same problem with
>> > non-sequiturs in non-visual media as there is with descriptive alt=.
>
> Agreed; spec now requires this. Not sure how to make this jive with the
> idea of allowing <pre>/<ol>/etc, though; see above.

I think I disagree; I'm not sure what we gain by hiding the caption and often I
can imagine it being positively useful even without the image.