[whatwg] Custom elements and attributes

Elliotte Harold wrote:
> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>> At the very least, ISO-8859-1 must be treated as Windows-1252.  I'm
>> not sure about the other ISO-8859 encodings.  Numeric and hex
>> character references from 128 to 159 must also be treated as
>> Windows-1252 code points.
>
> I understand why you want to do this, but it makes me very nervous.
> At best , it's a band-aid.

Yes, that's true, but it is reality and it is what browsers must do in
order to remain compatible with millions of legacy documents.  Keep in
mind that such requirements would only apply to documents served as
text/html, not XML.

> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/mime-respect.html
>
> Section 4.2 and 4.3 are especially relevant. From 4.3:
>
> However, the tendency for some agents to attempt silent recovery
> from such errors is also an error. Silent recovery from error
> perpetuates what could be easily fixed if the resource owner is
> simply informed of that error during their own testing of the resource.

Authors who check their pages using a conformance checker would be
alerted to the error.  A typical browser can't do that (at least not by
default) because the average user just doesn't care or need to know
about such errors.

There are already tools available for developers that can alert them to
such errors.  e.g. The error consoles in Firefox, Opera, Safari, iCab,
etc. and various validator extensions which report markup, CSS and JS
errors.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/