[whatwg] Table integrity and conformance

On Oct 23, 2006, at 21:31, Ian Hickson wrote:

> I think cells extending (via colspan/rowspan) into columns or rows
> that
> contain no cells other than extended cells should be at least a SHOULD
> NOT, maybe a MUST NOT.

Wouldn't it be sufficient and more desirable to require each row to
have at least one cell that starts on that row and each column to
have at least one cell that starts in that column? (By starts I mean
having the top left corner there.)

This would allow tables like this:
112
344
and
12
13
43
(Where numbers denote cells so that 11 means a cell spanning two
columns.)

Browsers don't choke:
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/test/wa10/tables/extended-cells.html

--