[whatwg] IDness and warnings

On Nov 6, 2006, at 17:31, Elliotte Harold wrote:

> It would seem to me to be less work to write an appropriate RELAX
> NG schema (probably a better idea than a DTD) to catch all these
> issues than to write individual rules.

I don't know how to emit a warning based on the pre-RELAX-NG-
validation IDness of attributes using RELAX NG. In fact, I am pretty
sure it is impossible. First, there's no way to emit warnings using
RELAX NG. (Unless all errors from a particular validation process are
turned into warnings by a filter.) Second, RELAX NG does not care
about pre-RELAX-NG-validation attribute types.

How could I do it?

> External entities could be checked in a separate step.

Since external entities are harmful on the Web, it is not worthwhile
to spend time on them beyond making sure that the XML parser warns
when it skips them. (I'd prefer to emit an error instead of a
warning, but emitting an error should be justifiable from the XML 1.0
spec and it isn't.)

> One assumes you'd validate against the DTD or schema you that the
> spec specified rather than the one the document specified.

There's no point in using a DTD like that when RELAX NG is available.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/