[whatwg] <input type="text" accept="">

On Thursday 2006-06-01 00:41 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
> Well, we want to avoid adding attributes for each feature (spellcheck=on
> autoindent=on syntaxhighlight=on syntaxcheck=off, as browsers add each
> feature) -- instead it is better, IMHO at least, to let the UA determine
> how it should behave based on some semantic information, such as, in this
> case, the type that is expected to be entered.
>
> I don't see why the same attribute _shouldn't_ be used to determine the
> type of data to allow, and whether to do spell checking or not. After all,
> whether to spell-check is directly related to what kind of data it is.

This sounds a lot like <object>, which allowed for tons of features but
didn't specify them precisely.  Are you planning to specify exactly what
the semantics of every MIME type are for all of these features?  And any
others people might want?  And are there really MIME types that
accurately represent the semantics of all the combinations of even just
the 4 features you list above that authors will want?  If every
combination needs a name, what if people want to toggle six different
things?

Generic parameters to MIME types might be a nice solution, but I think
we're past that point, unless you want to invent a syntax that
represents MIME type - parameter list pairs.

-David