[whatwg] <progress> draft

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, James Graham wrote:

> AFAICT, the design without a value attribute rocks. If only the whole
> spec could make fallbak content such an integral part of the design...

Heh.

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Michel Fortin wrote:

> The attribute may be of a standardized format, but the content ought to
> be localizable, shouldn't it?
>
> If so, number formats varies around the world, how should these be
> handled?
>
>     <meter>12.20 / 3,000.00</meter>
>     <meter>12,20 / 3 000,00</meter>
>     <meter>12,20 / 3.000,00</meter>
>
> I don't think it is possible to extract localized numbers reliably
> without knowing the locale first, and you may not want the browser
> trying to be that *clever* either.

In all of the cases above, beter would display "0", because none of them
have exactly two numbers. And it just struck me that in fact the other
example that I replied to would also show zero if you removed the
attribute.

You are correct that if you localise the string to a non-technical syntax
(i.e. a syntax that doesn't match "[0-9](.[0-9])?"), it will need the
attribute to work correctly.

> All this means that if someone relies on setting the content in a web
> application to set the value and maximum, when later the application is
> internationalized the meter will misbehave until you add the attribute.
> It will misbehave but only when having thousand separators or decimal
> values -- any such error may be left unnoticed easily.

That's a fair point.

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, fantasai wrote:

> Another issue is the possible use of U+2212 MINUS SIGN intead of U+002D
> HYPHEN-MINUS. This last, at least, should be handled whenever the number
> is parsed from the text content rather than in an attribute.

In the text, negative numbers aren't supported (if you use the fallback to
source the numbers, the minimum is fixed to 0 and the maximum must be
greater).