[whatwg] Status bars and progress indicators

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, fantasai wrote:

> Ian Hickson wrote:
> >
> > In all of these cases, there are at most three segments: low, medium,
> > and high, and in fact in all cases you could get away with having at
> > most two segments (i.e. just having a "low" or "high" marker).
>
> mmm, I've seen a *lot* of gauges that have a "low" threshold and a
> "critical" threshold. I don't know what you mean by "get away with".

I mean that it would not be the end of the world if the <gauge> only
supported two segments. The argument was that it should support an
arbitrary number. I think the best compromise is to support three.

> I agree that Mikko's points about "good" and "bad" are important.
>   http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2004-September/002271.html

Yes, that's on my list of points to take into account already.

> To set the scale for a three-segment gauge you need to know
>   - min value
>   - max value
>   - lower threshold
>   - upper threshold