[whatwg] HTML5 Parsing spec first draft ready

On Mar 11, 2006, at 03:20, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Feb 2006, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>>
>> Off the top of my head, the changes from the HTML parsing output
>> involve
>> (besides lowercasing names and putting elements in the XHTML 1.x
>> namespace)
>> getting rid of the meta element conveying character encoding
>> information,
>
> Why? It doesn't need to be removed, it just has no semantics in XHTML.

The spec says that it may be used that way only in HTML. Therefore,
an algorithm that maps conforming HTML5 to conforming XHTML5 must
remove it in order to keep the result conforming.

>> mapping the lang attribute to xml:lang
>
> "lang" is still valid in XHTML.

Not according to the spec. It says "lang (HTML only) and xml:lang
(XML only)". (I like it the way it is with only one language
attribute on each side.)

BTW, the spec also says: "If both the xml:lang attribute and the lang
attribute are set, user agents must use the xml:lang attribute, and
the lang attribute must be ignored for the purposes of determining
the element's language."

Shouldn't lang take precedence in HTML?

--
Henri Sivonen