[whatwg] Spellchecking proposal #2

From: Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 11:12:54 +0100
James Graham wrote:
> The only sensible use case that has been suggested so far is for online
> email apps which allow > 1 email addresses in an <input type="text"> -
> in this case none of the text will be recognized by the spellchecker vs.
> an <input type="text"> which contains an email subject line, which
> should be spellchecked.

How about a scheme where the UA never spellchecks <input type="text">?
Those who have sufficient trouble with spelling a single sentence (the
subject line) can right-click and choose "Check Spelling"?

If this whole attribute rigmarole is merely about trying to distinguish
between an <input type="text"> containing email addresses and one
containing a subject line, then it seems like a storm in a teacup to me.
Either people have to manually request it for subject lines, or the
email addresses get red squiggly underlines - deal with it. :-)

Gerv