W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > whatwg@whatwg.org > June 2006

[whatwg] Spellchecking proposal #2

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 10:57:13 -0700
Message-ID: <00be01c69880$ca66fa20$3401a8c0@TERRA>
Hi, Ian,

> I'd be happy without the attribute at all, but Mozilla is going to have
> something to enable/disable this feature from markup, and they wanted to
> have a spec for it so they asked WHATWG to provide a strawman. I figure
> it's better to have a spec and an implementation than just an
> implementation...

My 2 cents:

Spellchecker looks like pure behavioral entity.

So I would define this as:

<style>
#myeditor
{
    white-space:pre; overflow: auto; ...
    behavior: textarea spellchecker;   /* textarea editor and spellchecker 
*/
}
</style>

In htmlayout engine each DOM element can have
multiple behaviors assigned, so following:

<textarea id="myeditor">...</textarea>

will behave as a text area editor with spellchecker using
style declaration above.

(in fact behavior:textarea and/or spechecker can be assigned to
any DOM element with display-role: block, (not only textarea)
but this is another story)

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>
To: "David Hyatt" <hyatt at apple.com>
Cc: <whatwg at whatwg.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 5:42 PM
Subject: Re: [whatwg] Spellchecking proposal #2


> On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, David Hyatt wrote:
>>
>> If the user wants spell checking on in all textareas, then it should be 
>> on,
>> regardless of what the page says.  I don't think the page should be 
>> allowed to
>> override spell checking rules, since this is really a user decision.
>
> Agreed; the spec is written so as to allow the UA to always honour the
> user prefs instead of the author hints if desired.
>
>
>> For example, I know how to spell, so I don't want spell checking on in
>> any controls.  A person with poor spelling, however, might want spell
>> checking on in all controls.  I think it's totally inappropriate for a
>> Web page to have any control over spell checking settings.
>
> Some sites want to hint to the UA that for certain form controls there is
> no point enabling spellchecking (e.g. because they contain a list of
> e-mail addresses or some such), whereas for others they would recommend it
> be enabled (forum comment boxes or some such).
>
> I'd be happy without the attribute at all, but Mozilla is going to have
> something to enable/disable this feature from markup, and they wanted to
> have a spec for it so they asked WHATWG to provide a strawman. I figure
> it's better to have a spec and an implementation than just an
> implementation...
>
> -- 
> Ian Hickson               U+1047E                )\._.,--....,'``.    fL
> http://ln.hixie.ch/       U+263A                /,   _.. \   _\  ;`._ ,.
> Things that are impossible just take longer.   `._.-(,_..'--(,_..'`-.;.'
> 
Received on Sunday, 25 June 2006 10:57:13 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 13 April 2015 23:08:28 UTC