[whatwg] Mathematics in HTML5

From: Alexey Feldgendler <alexey@feldgendler.ru>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 20:16:01 +0700
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 19:20:28 +0700, White Lynx <whitelynx at operamail.com>
wrote:

>>> In case when everything is reduced to fractions and simple indices,
>>> it can be optional. But having such an element is still important for
>>> those who want to mark formulae explictly.

>> Then why include it now? It can be added later.

> And what to do until then?
> or
> how to mark math formula? Don't tell us to use microformats.

Ok, I've looked through some archived mail in this list, and I'm convinced
that we need <formula>.

>> At least it wouldn't be a no-op element (that is, an element which
>> doesn't
>> change the appearance of the document unless specially styled).

> In the same manner you can remove html and head, they are no-op elements.
>
> formula element is important from structural point of view.

If I was reinventing HTML from scratch now, I would drop HEAD and BODY and
leave just the HTML element. But we have backward compatibility preventing
us from doing this, of course. And, just like I said, a lot of pages
misuse HEAD and BODY just because omitting them or messing them up doesn't
break the page display.