[whatwg] Mathematics in HTML5

From: White Lynx <whitelynx@operamail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 15:01:46 +0400
Michel Fortin wrote:
> Yes, sub/sup will behave like HTML sub/sup with offsets being based
> > on font size like it is currently done in HTML implementations,
> > while llim/ulim and marker/submark will have offsets based on size
> > of their base (operator, fence, matrix etc.) not font size like in
> > case of HTML sub/sup elements.
>
> Am I right to say than an exponent made with <sup> following a fence
> of a undefined height cannot be aligned correctly vertically?

Yes, sup/sub will work like in HTML. This behavior is not perfect in case
of resizable operators, fences, matrices and vectors however in this cases operator
limits (llim/ulim) and fence markers (marker/submark) provide necessary functionality.

> Could
> the same thing be said when <sup> is preceded by a matrix?

Yes, fence markers (marker/submark) will be aligned near top or bottom
edge of matrix's fence, while sub/sup will be backward compatible with
HTML and will apply to PCDATA base only, like in HTML.