[whatwg] [html5] HTMLMapElement.images

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> Basically finding the position of the associated image elements so that
> you can show "popups" and so more easily without hardcoding that a
> particular image belongs to that map and vice versa.
>
>   https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=67731&action=view
>
> ... has a nice example (works in Internet Explorer only).

Interesting.  The concept is a lot like these examples in recent A List
Apart article:

http://alistapart.com/articles/cssmaps
* http://alistapart.com/d/cssmaps/stickymap/
* http://alistapart.com/d/cssmaps/multiple/

The difference with those, however, is that they're not marked up using
<map>, but rather the map is a background image with list items
positioned over the top.

I've been thinking about this a little since that article was published
and I think we need to work on improving the semantics and functionality
of <map>, so that it can handle things like that easily, without
excessive CSS positioning and JavaScript.

Being able to semantically associate areas on a map with related content
that can then be shown in a variety of ways, such as a tooltip on hover
or click.  It would also be cool if it were easier to do something like
the many similar features found in Google Maps.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/