[whatwg] Mathematics in HTML5

From: Řistein E. Andersen <html5@xn--istein-9xa.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 21:23:31 +0200
juanrgonzaleza at canonicalscience.com

>this may be difficult to achieve in practice, because TeX
>conversors reading TeX sources are unable to provide correct MathML markup
>for prescripts.

Conversion to MathML is obviously more difficult because the base has to be found and encoded explicitly. Still, I do _not_ say that conversion from TeX to HTML5 will be trivial in all cases.

>[classes:] "vector" or "Hilbert-vector" [or] "ket".
>I would leave [the choice] to authors until that a generic
>semantic markup was achieved, proved to be consistent and powerful and
>then used by authors.

With all the different concepts and notational conventions that exist in different
scientific fields and mathematical disciplines, no such thing as a generic semantic mark-up is likely to appear any time soon. I tend to believe that you agree.

>Font styles would be specified via CSS styles.

>text, the font bold property is defined in CSS and you can call it via a
>CSS rule applied to a class you can define. For example Spanish authors
>could prefer <span class="negrita">

The combination of author-defined classes and CSS styling obviously makes sense in many ways. Still, I am a bit reluctant when it comes to encoding the right font using the class attribute. Perhaps a profile would make it acceptable, as suggested by Michel Fortin.

>Also "tag" is not usual in French texts.

I am afraid I do not understand what you mean.

--
Andersen