[whatwg] <input type="text" accept="">

Alexey Feldgendler wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 08:49:50 +0700, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
>
>> <input> already has 27 element-specific attributes, plus 5 global
>> attributes, plus 1 deprecated attribute, plus an uncountable number of
>> event handler attributes. Going the road of one-attribute-per-feature
>> would escalate that even faster, especially given that these features
>> don't affect anything other than the way the user interacts with the
>> input field (i.e. they don't affect the actual allowed values, etc).
>
> Maybe features like spellckeching, syntax highlighting and so on should
> be controlled via CSS?

+1

I basically agree with all of this (including the snipped justification)
- if people want to control the precise UI of the client, CSS is the
most appropriate layer. Of course this should not prevent UAs from
turning on features intelligently based on the value of the accept
attribute - in the same way that an offline text editor would.