[whatwg] <input type="text" accept="">

On Friday 2006-06-09 00:42 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, 31 May 2006, L. David Baron wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't see why the same attribute _shouldn't_ be used to determine
> > > the type of data to allow, and whether to do spell checking or not.
> > > After all, whether to spell-check is directly related to what kind of
> > > data it is.
> >
> > This sounds a lot like <object>, which allowed for tons of features but
> > didn't specify them precisely.  Are you planning to specify exactly what
> > the semantics of every MIME type are for all of these features?
>
> No, because I don't know what those are, and want to allow for browser
> vendors to increase their feature set without having to have the spec
> updated each time.
>
> It doesn't seem like this is an area that requires interoperability (who
> cares if one browser auto-indents and another colours and spell-checks,
> other than the user of each browser?).

The original use case, as I understand it, was roughly "authors want to
disable spell checking on some textareas".  Is the reason that they want
to disable spellchecking only that the contents are not "text/plain"?  I
doubt it.  Doing what you propose, especially if it is extended to other
features, will just encourage authors to use incorrect MIME types to get
particular side-effects in particular user agents.

It seems more likely to be that the textarea is expected to contain a
particular type of text, such as abbreviations or some form of code.
The content is unlikely to have an assigned MIME type.  I suppose one
could be made up, but that would presumably disable everything a UA did
on the basis of the contents, which wouldn't necessarily be appropriate.

-David